Slice of Life Story - Consciously Slowing The Flow Of The Day

Sometimes it’s good to saunter, to amble, to take your time. Wander about in the various moments of the day. You see more when you do that. Today, I wanted to slow down a bit, enjoy the moments along the journey through my day. It proved a little difficult given that I was working. Still, I did my best not to rush. Inwardly I tried to slow down. I was conscious of keeping myself in check. Even when I was driving, I wanted to remain unfazed by the impatience and urge to rush of my fellow travellers. Better to arrive a few minutes later than normal than feel under self induced pressure. I am tired of rushing, racing and feeling harried by the pace of my work life in recent weeks. It’s not a case of stop the world, more a case of being aware of the speed and trying to regain the necessary equilibrium.



I recall when living in New York that each time I left our apartment in Midtown, I felt as though I was jumping into a fast flowing stream. People always appeared to be rushing –an irresistible tide of bodies rushing to get nowhere in particular. I quickly became one of them. Gawking tourists became an obstacle to negotiate. I could not believe what I had become in such a short period of time. When I returned to my home in Australia it took time to adjust to the slower pace. I would leave friends in my wake even when walking down Main street for a coffee…

Right now I need to keep working on adjusting my inner speed. Change to a lower gear. 'Slow down you move too fast, you’ve got to make the morning last.' Ah yes, good advice. I had a great day today. I got the speed right, and it worked a treat. Appreciating the small moments was reward in itself.

Comments

  1. That was me yesterday. I had a different plan that changed and I took total advantage of a slow down. It was so nice.
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it’s good to saunter, to amble, to take your time. That will be my mantra tomorrow. How better to spend a Wednesday than truly enjoying the day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This must be in the zeitgeist today! Instead of plowing full steam ahead into grading the essays I picked up before Spring Break, I'm sauntering (what a great word) through the Slicer blogs. A nice stroll, moving from one end of the world to the other.

    BTW, we made plane reservations last month to head to Australia, but changed our minds when we realized how little daylight we'd have in July. So disappointed! So, we're going to try and go sometime during my Spring Break--I'm so anxious to see Australia!

    Elizabeth
    http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular With Other Visitors

Learning How to 'Zoom In' When Writing

Writing Irresistible LEADS with Grade One Students

Answering Questions Posed by Young POETS

Writing Opposite Poems

Writing About Reading - Reading Reflection Journals: